PVA’s Vocational Program!
Completing On-Line Job Applications
Do Your Homework
Before starting your on-line job application get your homework completed. You will want to have all your application information ready when you start the application process. This information should include:
- Complete employment information for all your past work experience including; job titles and descriptions
- Supervisor names and titles, employer addresses and phone numbers
- Complete education information
- Military experience
- Award and honors
Many on-line applications may “time out” if the process exceeds time limits. By having your information ready, you will only need to copy your information.
Follow the Instructions
Please take the time to read and review any instructions listed on the on-line application. Some of the instructions can be long and complicated. Be sure to complete all the information required. Take the time to review your information before submitting.
Complete the Entire Application
You want to make sure that you complete all the sections that the employers are asking for. Competition can be fierce for a lot of positions and an employer may disqualify your application if you have not fully completed your work.
- Give yourself the proper time to complete your application. It may take over an hour to complete. Schedule your time accordingly so you do not have to rush.
- Pick the best time of day to complete your application. Some people work better in the morning or afternoons. You can avoid additional stress while filling out the information.
You want to be able to send a strong message to the employer about your qualifications. Study the job description to be able to use similar terminology from your own experience.
Veterans with Spinal Cord Injury or Spinal Cord Disease who may be receiving SSDI or SSI and wish to work might consider calling a Paralyzed Veterans of America Certified Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
1 Veterans Drive, Building 76, Room SC139
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417